Taking courses in the Associate of Arts in Teaching Program is the first step toward pursuing a Texas teaching certificate. We have two options for earning this degree:
Students who complete the A.A.T. can transfer to a university that offers a bachelor's degree and complete requirements for standard teacher certification.
In order to be eligible to receive the A.A.T. degree, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 60 hours including all of the required courses listed.
- Earn a grade of "C" or better in English 1301, Education 1301, and Education 2301.
- Earn a GPA of at least 2.00. (Universities often require a GPA of 2.75 or 3.0 for
admission to the Teacher Education Program related to earning a bachelor's degree
and meeting state certification requirements).
- Meet all TSI requirements.
- Pass a background check as required for program courses requiring observation hours.
- Teacher Assistant
- Substitute Teacher
After transferring to a university and earning a Bachelor's degree:
- Elementary Teacher
- Secondary Teacher
The degree program is designed to transfer to either the Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences in Early Childhood Education and Teaching at Weatherford College or a university.
Students planning to apply to the BAAS ECET at Weatherford College must take one lab science each in the areas of BIOL, PHYS, GEOL.
- Carolyn Boggs
- Shannon Stoker
- Staci Tyler
Department Chair, Education