Prepares students for entry level positions in one of the fastest growing health care positions. Topics include instrument identification, equipment maintenance, tooth structure and oral cavity anatomy, dental anesthesia, sterilization and charting. Also, learn the steps necessary to assist the dentist while providing quality dental care within the community. Overview of tooth charting, restorations, bitewing, bridge implants, pano-graph, and periapical x-ray and the mixing of dental cements are covered as well.
Dental Assistant Program courses taken concurrently include:
- DNTA.1037 – Introduction to Dental 20 contact hours
- DNTA.1015 – Chairside Assisting 64 contact hours
- DNTA.1003 – Registered Dental Assistant Review 16 contact hours
- DNTA.1060 – Dental Assistant Externship 80 contact hours
Applicants must complete Dental Assistant program application, upload supplemental items and meet all Health Professions Requirements BEFORE they can be admitted into the program and are eligible for registration. Supply list for Dental Assistant
HEALTHCARE PROGRAM IMMUNIZATIONS
- HEPATITIS B (3 shot series) or positive titer before clinicals/patient contact
- TUBERCULIN SKIN TEST (TB) -Negative reading within 12 months of course completion date or chest x-ray
ADDITIONAL HEALTHCARE REQUIREMENTS
- 18 YEARS OF AGE
- HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, HSE/GED OR COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT – Unofficial copy can be uploaded
- DRIVER'S LICENSE OR GOVERNMENT PHOTO ID - Must be valid
- SOCIAL SECURITY CARD – Must be signed
- CPR - BASIC LIFE SUPPORT (BLS) CERTIFICATION MUST BE FROM AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION will be included with the program
- SATISFACTORY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK – Completed form to be processed by WC
NOTICE: Certain criminal history may prevent a student from being approved to register for a program or attending clinical/practicum/externship. In some areas it can prohibit student from employment and/or obtaining licensure through the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners. Students should verify eligibility before applying.
Graduates will receive a Weatherford College certificate of completion and be prepared for the Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) exam with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE). Students can choose to be a Registered Dental Assistant, Oral Surgery Assistant, Orthodontic Assistant (Ortho Assistant), and Surgical Dental Assistant.
Registered Dental Assistants looking to add credentials often obtain their certification for Nitrous Oxide Monitoring by with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners or to further their career and continue their education enroll in a Dental Hygienist program.
Funding assistance through the Workforce Education Grant and Weatherford College Foundation Scholarship for Workforce Education may be available for eligible applicants, until funds are depleted. This program does not qualify for FAFSA.
Weatherford Campus: 817-598-8870
Wise County Campus: 940-626-3304
Number of Credits
- 18.0 CEUs (Continuing Education Units)