Students obtain the knowledge, and skills essential for entry-level nursing assistants to provide basic care to residents of long-term care, assisted living facilities, patients in hospitals, home health and hospice agencies.
Nurse Aide Program courses include:
- NURA.1001 – Nurse Aide for Health Care 108 contact hours
Applicants must complete CNA program application, upload supplemental items and meet all Health Professions Requirements BEFORE they can be admitted into the program and are eligible for registration. Supply list for CNA
HEALTHCARE PROGRAM IMMUNIZATIONS
- HEPATITIS B (3 shot series) or positive titer before clinicals/patient contact
- MEASLES, MUMPS RUBELLA (MMR) or separate positive titers
- TETANUS/DIPHTHERIA/PERTUSSIS (TDAP) - One dose within the past 10 years
- TUBERCULIN SKIN TEST (TB) -Negative reading within 12 months of course completion date or chest x-ray
- VARICELLA (CHICKEN POX) or positive titer
ADDITIONAL HEALTHCARE REQUIREMENTS
- 18 YEARS OF AGE – If under 18, Minor Consent Form is required with application
- DRIVER'S LICENSE OR GOVERNMENT PHOTO ID - Must be valid
- SOCIAL SECURITY CARD – Must be signed
- CPR - BASIC LIFE SUPPORT (BLS) CERTIFICATION MUST BE FROM AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION – Must be current through program and clinicals
- SATISFACTORY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK – Completed form to be processed by WC
- EMPLOYABILITY CHECK - Processed by WC
- PERSONAL HEALTH INSURANCE – Recommended, not required
NOTICE: Certain criminal history may prevent a student from being approved to register for a program or attending clinical/practicum/externship. In some areas it can prohibit student from employment and/or obtaining licensure through the Texas Health and Human Services. Students should verify eligibility before applying.
Graduates will receive a Weatherford College certificate of completion and be approved to take the Texas Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation Exam. This program prepares students as a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA), Patient Care Technician (PCT), Home Health Aide or Hospice Aide. Students will be prepared to be entry-level nursing assistants in long term care and assisted living facilities, patient care technicians in hospitals, or home health/hospice aides.
CNA certification is trending as a pre-requisite for some nursing programs to prepare applicants for the nursing or other health science programs.
Many CNAs wanting to continue their education and training can do so by enrolling in Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) or Registered Nurse (RN) programs. Two (2) points will be earned toward entrance into Weatherford College’s LVN program for CNA certification.
Funding assistance through the Workforce Education Grant and Weatherford College Foundation Scholarship for Workforce Education may be available for eligible applicants, until funds are depleted. This program does not qualify for FAFSA.
Weatherford Campus: 817-598-8870
Wise County Campus: 940-626-3304
Number of Credits
- 10.8 CEUs (Continuing Education Units)