Cardiac sonographers typically scan with their left hand, but the other physical requirements are the same as for an abdominal, OB-GYN, or vascular sonographer. Learning left hand scanning is challenging and fun. It is also rewarding to develop that skill if you are a multi-specialty practicing sonographer.
The Adult Echocardiography Certificate Program begins once a year and is a two-semester continuous program which requires online course work, on-campus scanning lab attendance, and clinical externship attendance. The course is offered to graduates of an accredited Diagnostic Medical Sonography program and/or credentialed sonographers who are interested in training in echocardiography. All prospective students are required to meet the admission criteria. In addition, all applicants should be free of illegal drug use, have no felony convictions, and be clear of any misdemeanor convictions other than minor traffic violations. For more information about the application procedures please call (817) 598-6217. Applications for admission will be accepted beginning the first business day in December through the last business day of May each year for the Adult Echocardiography Certificate Program. Applications may be downloaded from our web page.
Application Requirements include the following:
- Submit Weatherford College application, official transcripts and/or certification,
and evidence of Texas Success Initiative or completion to the Office of Student Affairs.
- Submit Health and Human Sciences Application, official transcripts and/or copy of
Certification and Degree or Certificate of Training in Diagnostic Medical Sonography,
proof of Hepatitis B immunization, and a current resume to Tammi White/Administrative
Assistant at the Health and Human Sciences Office.
- Failure to meet application requirements will result in denial of application.
Weatherford College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered on the basis of qualifications without regard to gender, age, race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, or the presence of a non-job-related disability or any other legally protected status.
Once selected for admission to the program, the student must complete the following prior to the clinical portion of the program:
- Complete a criminal background check.
- Obtain a TB screen test, a 10-panel urine drug screen, various titers and immunizations,
completion of Hepatitis B series, and a back/spine screen.
- Submit proof of major medical health insurance.
- Obtain current AHA Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (BLS) certificate - valid for a minimum of 2 years. Information and specifics on obtaining the above will be available to the student upon acceptance to the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants whose native language* is not English, must submit an acceptable score on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) with application. Additional information may be obtained from the Health and Human Sciences Department.
*A native language is a language that is acquired naturally during childhood & is usually spoken at home, as opposed to a language that is learned later in life, for example, as a part of a person's formal education.
Adult Echocardiography Certificate Selection Criteria
Enrollment into the Adult Echocardiography Certificate Program will be offered based on the date of receiving the completed application. We use the following point system to select applicants. *
- Weatherford College Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Graduate: 12 points
- Other CAAHEP accredited DMS Program Graduate: 8 points
- Non-CAAHEP accredited DMS Program Graduate: 4 points
- Points awarded for a previous degree
Master's = 8 points
Bachelor's = 6 points
Associate's = 4 points
- Points for Registered Status / Work Experience
ARDMS, ARRT, or CCI registry = 3 points
Working as a sonographer = 5 points
* The first ten applicants will be accepted into the program. The number of enrollments is subject to change. Classes fill up fast on a first come basis, and the point system is used to assign priority to applications that were received on the same day.