Weatherford College is proud to hold the 4th Annual Weatherford College International Piano Competition for young pianists. The top three winners in each division will receive cash awards, trophies and certificates. A clinic and masterclass with the judges will be held for the twenty-four finalists. The preliminary round will be an online format All performances will be judged from the submitted videos. The twenty-four selected finalists will perform live before judges in the Weatherford College Marjorie Alkek Performing Arts Center, Weatherford, Texas on July 22-23, 2022. Applications must be submitted by May 2, 2022.
2022 WC International Piano Competition Calendar
- January 28 - Online Application Opens
- May 2 – Deadline for submitting video recordings
- May 11 – Finalist announced
- July 22, 23 – Finalists perform in person
Junior Division: Ages 10-17
Young Artist Division: Ages 18 or over
Junior Division: 1st Prize $1,200, 2nd Prize $600, 3rd Prize $300
Young Artist Division: 1st Prize $2,400, 2nd Prize $1,200, 3rd Prize $600
Judges may award special recognition to deserving pianists.
The Weatherford College International Piano Competition welcomes pianists of all nationalities.
- Applicants for the Junior Division must be between ages 10-17 by the day of the application deadline, May 2, 2021.
- Applicants for the Young Artist Division must be between ages 18 and over by the day of the application deadline, May 2, 2022.
Contestants have free choice of their repertoire for all rounds. Contestants are encouraged to program at least two contrasting pieces for solo piano from two different eras of Western classical music including Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Twentieth Century. All works must be performed from memory. Repertoire of the preliminary round can be repeated in the finals. Repeats may be played at the discretion of the performer, but are not required.
- Video recording of 10-20 minutes of solo piano performance.
- Video must be submitted as a link to YouTube.
- Junior Division: Up to 20 minutes
- Young Artist Division: Up to 40 minutes
- Twelve Junior contestants and twelve Young Artist contestants will be selected to compete in the final round. Repertoire of the preliminary round can be used at the final round.
- Final round will be open to the public.
- Non-refundable. Payments are accepted online only through SimpleTix.
- All materials, including applications, recordings, and application fee must be received by May 2, 2022.
- All participants must complete and submit the full Weatherford College International Piano Competition application through SimpleTix. Application deadline is May 2, 2022.
- Age requirements apply to applicant at the time of the application deadline.
- Selected finalists for the April Competition will be notified by May 11, 2022.
- Selected finalists are to confirm attendance at the live rounds by May 20, 2022.
- Assigned performance slots are final.
- Competitors are responsible for their own expenses.
- Contestants must be present at the awards ceremony to receive awards, prizes or recognition.
- Judges' decisions on all awards and eligibility will be final.
- The Competition reserves the right, without payment of fees, to record and distribute recordings for media and other purposes, including the Internet, and to televise, broadcast, film, record, videotape, photograph or stream live all stages of the Competition, all prize performances, and concerts.
- By applying to the Competition, applicants agree to abide by all the rules and regulations of the Weatherford College International Piano Competition.
- All communication, including scheduling for the performing will be conducted by e-mail.
- The Competition reserves the right to make necessary changes as circumstances dictate.
Application Deadline: May 2, 2022
Dr. Hyeyoung Song