Weatherford College is committed to providing a safe environment for students, employees, and visitors, and to respecting the right of individuals who are licensed to carry a handgun as permitted by Texas state law. On August 1, 2017 individuals who are licensed to carry may do so on campus premises except in locations and at activities prohibited by law or as is specified by local procedure.
Weatherford College has implemented an ad hoc committee to make recommendations on the Campus Carry policies for Weatherford College.
Until August 1, 2017, concealed firearms are not allowed on Weatherford College Campuses.
FACTS ABOUT THE LAW – “Campus Carry” or SB 11
- The law does NOT allow open carry campus.
SB 11 deals only with the concealed carry of handguns by people who have a “license to carry”. It is now – and will still be – illegal to display a firearm on any campus property.
- A person must have a license to carry a concealed handgun on campus.
SB 11 authorizes concealed campus carry only by “license holders,” that is, people who received the state-mandated training and met other statutory requirements for a license to carry a concealed handgun.
Ad Hoc Committee
- Paul Stone, Chief of Weatherford College Police Department
- Michael Endy, Vice President of Instruction and Student Services
- Adam Finley, Executive Dean of Student Services
- Katie Edwards, Director of Creative Arts & Graphic Services
- Faith Stiffler, Director of Housing
- Ralinda Stone, Director of Human Resources
- Bill Cooper, Police Sergeant
- Vern Higbee, WCWC Police Sergeant